Thursday, May 21, 2009

Permission for Take Off Granted!!

After nervously chewing my nails down and coming up with a large variety of "Plan B's", Mark and I met with my physician Tuesday morning for "Thee final opinion": if I may/may not embark on this adventure. See, I've been struggling with worsening symptoms over the past 9-10 months that begin in my deep left gluteal muscle with pain that then moves as numbness and tingling into the full left leg. The last clincher is the buckling of the knee when I stand on it. Riding, however, in a curled up position, is without symptoms. So, after various treatments, physician consultations, studies, discussions, etc., it was decided "Thee final decision" was to be left up to his expertise if such a ride would result in permanent damage or not.
HOORAY!! Thank you Bill!! He gave us the go ahead, as long as I listen to my body and, when necessary, cut back on the distance I am riding day by day. Those that know me are probably shaking their heads with that advice. However, remember Mark will be there every day monitoring the whole situation. Which means, the slightest little limp or grunt or one-extra-sigh, he will probably stand between me and the bike.
However..... if I play this right ..... do you think the guys would be suspicious when my symptoms flare terribly only during windy and rainy days? Then I would have to be the one in the van and they would have to be riding. Then on nice days .... H......m.m.m....
Mark's input on this whole situation, (you must remember out of the 3 of us, he is the non-medical person), was if I have no symptoms while riding, then I should just ride the whole way without stopping. Makes sense in a simplistic sort of way. He'll hand me fluid and nutrition bottles out of the van window, and even throw a bar to chew on my way every so often. Again, think RAAM (for those of you who have read the earlier blogs).

My next preparation for this trip: I have now joined the 21st century and have become a "techie". Yup. Who would have thought?? I have purchased my first cell phone. Actually even bought a fancy camouflaged case to strap it on to ... I don't wear a belt ... really don't carry a purse much .... well ... I'll find something to strap it on to. Oh yeah, my bike!! Cool!! Now I just have to figure out how to answer it, how to call without accidentally bumping the Inter Net button and wasting minutes, and how to set it on vibrate rather than the loud annoying ring it currently has. I do have 3.5 weeks left, so all of those goals should be accomplished.

Updated my traveling Med Bag, bought new riding socks, and had my haired permed to maximize my efficiency in the mornings and evenings surrounding a day's ride. Yup, all coming together!

Tomorrow we're riding the 7 Hills Course. That was the course used for the Olympic Trials, and then again for various other competitive riding events. Certainly makes one more respectful of repetitive mountain climbing. However, does have great down hills in return. Let's see just how fast we can go!!

Let's hope for no wind!!

No comments:

Post a Comment