Wednesday, July 8, 2009

For Those With A Weak Heart ...

...Today is not a day to read this Blog.

Today we rode from Newcomerstown, Ohio to Morrisvile, PA. Do not ask for the specific road that we rode. It was winding. It wasn't on the map. The locals weren't 'really sure' about it. At once, we went back, then forth, then back again. Could that be more intense??

Ken rode first. Note the incredible, scenic lake. Truly beautiful, serene, calm, beautiful, green, ... what other adjectives can I use? He, however, did not notice. This was Ken's first "experience from Hell" riding along a Highway with minimal to no shoulder; that was made out of crap; two lanes on its best days; and was also a major trucking route. I asked about one million times ... what are they trucking in the middle of summer that could possibly require this route?!?!?!

At the end of his first ride, he said, "This was not fun. I may just decide to quit if this happens again. This was so unsafe. I did not like this." Me, being the eternal 'put my head deeply into the sand and just continue', said, "But kudos to you!!! You did it!!! How cool was that???" Ken did not think this was cool.

I took the second leg of the ride which started mid-lake route. I've done the "challenge the semi's and dump trucks and RV" route before. No, I don't like it either. I'm just more use to it. Just focus on the immediate straight line ahead of you; DO NOT flinch; DO NOT jump; just keep riding; trust in infinity and Hope To Hell They Aren't Feeling Homicidal Today.
After the lake I started onto the "hills" of the East. These were actually the Mountains, albeit shorter in duration, from Hell. As compared to our portion of the world....they were like "mini-Tetons", though shorter in duration. There is no doubt in my mind, or in Ken's (after discussion) they were easily the same steepness as the Tetons, if not more so. They did, however, sharply angle downward as a bit of reward. My max speed, briefly, was 41 MPH. I swore I was climbing a tree then jumping off. About the same intensity of high and low.


The second pic is an attempt at capturing the intensity of the angles of the mountains ... up and down ... that we rode over today. Poor depiction. Cameras just don't do justice.

Pic #3: Again, I tried to capture the strict up and downs of the road. I have nothing to compare it to. The roads went immediately up, then sharply down. Over and Over. No area of land was, however, without a house, or farm present. You could not view more than 2/10ths of a mile (I measured it) at any one time; and those were the long stretches. Abrupt 'U' and 'S' curves then entire time. I rode over 2 hours with an average of 14.3mph; and Mark (what an incredible spouse I have!!!) stopped me as he was concerned I would finish blowing out my knee due to the intensity of the climbs.

I have climbed many a repetitive mountainous route; many steep roads; many long enduring rides; but this is right up there on my scale of experiences. I would be rewarded by spinning downhill, shortly, and then ABRUPTLY have to climb a tree straight upward. And this occurred over and over and over.

Now the respectful portion of this was, this was a VERY WINDING 2 lane road, minimal to NO shoulders, that was one of their major trucking routes!!!!

Let us all bow our heads and give praise to the 18-wheelers. They always pull over. 99% of the rest were gentle and caring. Kudos to them. Especially since the posted signs ouside the towns were "End of 45 mph". Who the hell???.... I use to own the greatest Mustang GT 5L T-top; and I wouldn't roll @ 45mph on that route!!! Even back then in my crazy days.

The last pic is, in my hopes, to again persuade you to better understand the steepness of this incredible land. Note the rode we vehicles drive on, and the height of the left side of the mountain they blasted out. This same angle of incline drops to the right. Over and over and over again. I was raised in the mountains of western Montana; I am affectionately attached with Canada; those has nothing on these.

Due to the slowness of our riding because of the roads, the intensity of climbing, etc., we missed our planned motel in another 45 miles. Unfortunately, we also missed calling them to cancel the reservation because they didn't answer my initial phone call. A repeat phone call in 15 minutes was then "after 6:00 pm" and we still get the full charge.

We are exhausted. Ate pizza in our rooms as we unpacked and washed the gear, elevated and iced, and are counting down until Atlantic City. In retrospect, with a bit of ETOH on board ... it is still really worth the adventure.

Tomorrow awaits. Mark will be first. I'll have plenty of time to 'caffeine up'.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment