Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Ride Goes On

No new pics today.

We just rode and transitioned off to one another on back roads from Storm Lake to Marshalltown, Iowa. The scenery has not changed one-iota (old expression from the late 50's) since yesterday. One time, while riding as I passed Mark and Ken in the van, I asked, "When did 'Boring' replace 'Fun'?" (It's these multiple personalities I live with......). The wind wasn't up to the 50 mph gusts, however, steady between 25-40. Still from the North/NorthEast as we travel West and South.

Ken has gained so much experience during this ride. He now realizes, the most un-safe direction of riding during significant winds, is when the wind is coming directly from your left. See, the traffic traveling in the same direction as you then 'breaks' the wind. Now that probably seems to be what one would want. However, with the wind directly blowing from your left while riding, you then have to lean into the wind in order not to fall over off of those 2" bike wheels. A vehicle, be it car or semi or anything in between, then whisks by. That causes a void in the wind, which means you waver in order to stand upright. Now, that vehicle then 'sucks' you into their draft. If that vehicle is large enough, you then can be pulled into their back tires (if it's a semi), which means you now have to veer and lean to the right. Then they have passed you, the wind again beats you to the right and you have to lean to the left. All of this in less than 1-2 seconds. A bit technical, some might say. And coordinated. And balanced. And my girls would say, crazy.

We have chosen 'off routes' to travel today through Iowa with hopes of avoiding those that "hate bicyclists". These routes were wonderful!! People waved, moved away as they passed us ... couldn't be better. The asphalt for many miles, was actually concrete roads. These are really nice to cycle on!! A definite bonus. On the down side, as you ride for miles on concrete, you start thinking, "This is like a run-way. Am I on a run-way? Am I ready for take-off...? Is there a large jet coming up behind me...?".

In such periods of endured cycling, it is amusing how the city directional signs can make one smile. The other day it pointed to the East "Spain". Wow, I thought. I knew I had been riding a long time. i just don't remmeber the "water" portion of it. Then there was "Swan Lake". Should I put on my point shoes and piroutte across stage down?? Of course, "Burbank" made me want to go shopping. The last sign directed a right turn to "the original site of Twister". Does that mean the game ... a tornedo? Mark assures me we are not yet in Hurricane Alley.

It is also interesting, and possibly a cultural variance, as to how Iowa marks the directionas of intersections. In 'our area' of the country, as you approach the intersection, it is posted E-W such-and-such; and N-S such-and-such. Makes sense, in my simple way of thinking. Approaching the intersection - give directional warning. Call me simple.
Not so here. One approaches the intersection and there are no directional signs what-so-ever. You then cross the intersection, and about 200 yards later is the Freeway sign. No, I am not losing my mind more-so than I ever have been. This is exactly how it happens. So now, once you have crossed the intersection and are traveling in the incorrect direction, you need to either (1) continue forward in the incorrect direction, or (2) U-turn backwards in order to correct you direction. Every intersection was marked this way.

Riding did become 'Boring' today; perhaps due our general fatigue physically. Still lovely, and green, and interesting farming homes. Oh, Dee - I passed one farm house directly on my left on the Highway (most are several hundred yards down their private roads). It had no particular garden; just a basic lawn....with 20+ pink plastic flamingo's anchored in it. Made me smile.

We are now predicting and calculating toward Thee End. We are speculating how many days riding, how many days of rest, and how many days left over at the end to visit with our daughter Alcyone in Atlantic City. Ken is now planning when his wife can fly out to meet him, also in Atlantic City. Hopefully we'll spend a few days there together, then they'll drive back to Spokane. Mark and I need to soon get the flight tickets back home. Amazing how quickly this vacation is disappearing.

I continue to urge Ken to enter his own writings on this Blog ... let's see if that occurs over the next few days!! Go Ken!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment