Thursday, June 18, 2009

Couldn't be prettier!!

What a great first day it was!! The weather was most cooperative and provided us a temperature in the high 60's to low 70's. No wind until later in the afternoon (when I started my portion of the ride. Duh.)

Ken rode first from Florence up through the absolutely beautiful mountain drive. That great Oregon coast of deep, lush greenery with a river right next to the entire route.

Mark flew next on a really flat course from Low Pass, through Eugene, and then stopped @ Blue River. And no wind for him!! He totaled 71.85 miles with an average pace of 18.0. Good for you, Mark!!

Then it was my turn. And this was a major kink in our plans that we have to work out ... no, not having me there..... Due to the time it took, Ken and me getting lost in Eugene (who would have thought, someone in the world as directionally challenged as me, together, trying to lead each other) taking the scenic, not direct route. My route was constant uphill, yes wtih a new onset wind, through the Mountain Pass into Sister, ID. Again, absolutely gorgeous and breath-taking. In part due to the minimal shoulder, narrow and winding 2 lane road wtih semi's and large trailer/RV's pulling boats. Uh-huh. Breath taking.

Must run, darn, as I have much to share. This wireless connection per motel didn't work last night. It is 0530 and the guys are rustling about, we don't have a motel for tonight (big motorcycle convention for the next 4 days in the little towns of the area), and there is packing to do!!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. The picture is beautiful - I'm jealous.
    Hang in there. The truckers are more
    courteous as you travel east.
    Best wishes for your safety and wellness.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to seeing you when you arrive in SD. Be safe in your travels.
    Does your route bring you through Spearfish?
    Gary and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for a your first riding day. Look forward to reading more of your adventures and seeing pictures. Thanks for allowing us to share the journey with you. Ride on!

    Lee & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scene!! I'm afraid that I'd have said "forget the trip, I'm going FISHING!!" Have a great time, we'll be watching.
    Ann & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. An awesome first day. Keep on peddling and enjoy.
    Zona & Mick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think you guys are crazy!!! But I'm glad the trip is good this far!! But be careful mom, for crying out loud "minimal shoulder, narrow and winding 2 lane road wtih semi's and large trailer/RV's pulling boats" OH MY!!! Love you guys lots and hope you have fun!!
    Love, the eldest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. have you run into those babes at sturgis yet?

    ReplyDelete