Wednesday, June 24, 2009

New Trials

A day of trials and much experience with new found knowledge. We rode from Cody, WY to Sheridan, WY over the Bighorn pass. And I asked the guys to take a pic of me to download. Ken did on his camera, and as I transferred it onto my computer, it says it is "contaminated". So we'll work on that in the near future, Patty.

Ken rode first: 67 Miles. The first 60 was fun. The last seven errupted into a gift from Hades. In fact, I drove back thinking he made a wrong turn when he was way overdue to arrive at the meeting place. Yes, dear Ken our friend, Mark and I have been there manymanymany times. Despite our best laid plans, calculations and guesstimations, we too have "hit the wall". He met his mileage goal, however, so I poured him into the van with the goal of catching up with Mark.

I had dropped Mark off at Shell, WY. (Sincerely, the nicest people we have met all through WY with the best food and the greatest waitresses). His assignment was to ride to the top of Granite Pass - over 9,053 feet. He was spry and animated when I dropped him off. At that time, he was gearing up to the music of Jethro Tull at really high decibels. Way too much energy, I thought. Then Ken and I passed him, checked on his water, at the halfway mark. Still doing pretty darn good and retaining a sense of humour.
Ken then drove me to the top of the pass, where I started my 57 mile ride.
Mark, in the meantime, found things became ugly and uglier. See, although he never rode in his smallest gear, he was never able to really accelerate. (Imagine, 7-10% grade and can't accelerate. I don't get it.) It took him 2.5 hours to climb this mountain pass. As Ken and I drove to the top for my starting point, we did say with each corner we rounded, "This should be the top. Oh, it isn't. I am SOOOO..oo..o glad it is Mark and not us riding this course!!"
Mark said it got really ugly the last 30 minutes as he ran out of water, didn't want to taste another Hammer Gel supplement, and then just where the hell am I???? Maybe Ken and Mark share the same gift-bearer.
Ken caught him at the top, got a great pic, and off they went after me.

I started on a really good downhill and was thinking this was going to be a GREAT ride for me. I have these really big gears on my bike, that most people shake their heads and urge me to replace. For those bike-in-the-know-people out there: 2 chain wheels on my front crank: 54 & 36 teeth. The back 9 gears on the FreeWheel, the smallest being 11 teeth. So see, I really can push it on the flats and downhills (really sucks going up hill, however....again, Mark & Ken = Tetons, Mark = Bighorns. There is a reason to our madness!!).
So after a few rollers, and a climb up the next pass, I reached the top. Ready to screech down the unknown backside with the goal of breaking my PR of 58mph. I suspect Mark has bargained and probably sold his soul to the Goddess of Rehab. See, on this trip, every hill I am to descend it is to be under construction. And so was this for the first 5 miles. Also, the Highways here are paved in red (look around at the soil and rock formations), that was interesting to ride as it really distorts what you think you will/not go over, what depth, etc. Once you get use to gray, it is really hard to quickly change your perspective.
Then I started on really rough, partially under construction, 11 miles downhill of THEE most technical course I have ever been on. I have been riding/racing 25 years. This was, sincerely, an amazing course. The multiple "s" after "s" with a "u" after "opposite direction-s & u" curves wound and dropped for 11 miles. Speed limits for vehicles were posted between 25-30 mph. There was no "smooth" pavement; again, think construction. The sides of the road, some of them with guardrails, some not, dropped miles down into the valley. I strongly support any "cyclist" that wants a strong technical ride to do this route. Amazing. I don't believe I have ever had my hands on my brakes going downhill, let alone actually gently tapping & using them, for more than a moment or two. This was the actual full 11 miles. I am so thankful for those weekly+ trips to the gym all winter long to lift weights and strengthen myself.
For those not involved in cycling, this means you (at least I do) ride in a crouched position with butt just off the saddle (reduces vibrations) and weight distributed between my forearms/hands and my crouched legs. Simple sounding. Really exhausting. Can't drink fluids as I was lightly tapping my brakes the entire time down (I NEVER would have thought I would EVER slow my bike going down a hill!!).
The "U" and "S" curves means as you lean into a left curve you extend your right leg fully placing all your weight onto the right leg for balance. And, as all cyclists know, the faster downhill you go, the more your eyes water. And ... there are cars behind me. And ... I can't "stay in my lane" as there are no lanes, the asphalt is crap with washboarding, holes, gravel and god-only-knows-what-else. I suspect I had an episode of oxygen deprivation during birth...god I love this stuff!!

Let's complicate the recipe: There I am, poised, fatigued, not-blinking as I really don't want to miss a darn thing in the road, careening down this mountain side. A wasp now flips under the front of my helmet and slides between my glasses and my eyes. Sincerely. I could not make this stuff up. A religious experience is about to quickly occur. OMGpleaseletitgetoutpleasepleaseplaseJeezusKristepleasegetitout.... See, I had this happen one other time, much slower rate, flat terrain. Reached up, lifted my glasses, and out it flew. That arm/hand activity is not going to happen at this moment of time.

I blinked ... it was crawling up the inside of my glasses. I blinked and really shook my head again. Must have knocked it down as it is now again crawling up the same space of my glasses. Many soft religious verbal mantras continue. I took a really deep breath, shook my head again. Then slowly (remember the balance-vs-speed ratio going on here) lightly tipped my glasses with my right hand. Off he flew. OK ... now breath out.

Only one car passed me during this downhill course. As it passed (why would you pass someone, even a cyclist, in these conditions????) I quickly looked at my speedometer. I was going 31mph and this was a 30mph zone. I don't get it.

Then as I was nearing the very bottom of the hill, there was a brand new brush fire on the left of the road. I stopped at the tavern (those beers were certainly tempting), reported it, then off to Sheridan I rode.

I was pleased with my ride, despite the breath taking views & what-ever-else I just experienced. My average was 20.8mph over 58 miles. I'll be the first to admit a large percentage was downhill. Again, it was quite the memorable experience. I would love to hear from any of you who takes the challenge of THAT downhill...even without the construction and wasps.

We had a great Mexican dinner with a pitcher of marquitas. Really good!! Tomorrow, off to just past Gillette by 25 miles.

More pics tomorrow!! Thanks again for your posts!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you shook off the wasp, Cindy! And knowing you, if you hadn't, you'd have just slapped something cold on the sting, ignored the swelling and shock and just kept riding.
    Well, in some ways, the construction was a blessing--with all those "s's" and "u's" you would have flown right off that road going flat out. And why are we not surprised that you love that speed factor? Safe journey tomorrow--and enjoy the scenery. N & L

    ReplyDelete
  2. would u have been permantetly blinded if a wasp or bee stings ur eyeball??? seriously, I dont know...?? maybe, that would suck...
    Alcyone

    ReplyDelete