Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Downhill Without Brakes....

That is how it feels about now. Less than 2 weeks before we leave. A whole lot completed every day, with more and more to do. It takes a great deal of planning and strategy to pack up 3 adults with full bike gear into a single vehicle to last for a full month. Call me soft ... some things I won't travel without anymore (as compared to when I was a 20 y/o without a care). Let me catch you up with our plans and accomplishments.



Ken worked his last day and is now officially on Sabbatical. Yea for him. 2 months off and he won't know what to do when he returns.



Mark crossed the 1000 mile mark on his bike tallied for this year. We decided we needed to each get in at least 1000 miles in order to "be in shape". I'm just over 866, and Ken isn't sure, though I suspect he's a bit more than me.



I had a final dental visit to patch back together an unhappy tooth. Thanks to Jack and the greatest dental office in Spokane for all the supplies they gave us for our trip!! We really appreciate your support!!



I also had my last injection to cool down my back/butt/leg. Way easier than the last one. Not sure if I'm getting use to them (let's hope not), or if his technique was improving. I suspect the latter since he now "know me". Thank you George!! I have no doubt this will "cure me" for at least the next 6 weeks.



I'm still struggling with the Google Map thing, just can't seem to be able to find a way to make a map without a bunch of "markers" on it; or a way to post my map site on the front page of this blog. I even posted a question at the Google Blog site, and didn't get an answer. So, we'll just wing it. I'll attache the site every day and you'll be able to click onto it, then find that map of the day.



My next learning curve is the photo thing ... and I have several days to accomplish that skill.



Big thanks to Angie (who works with me) for guiding me through how to create useful spreadsheets that can monitor, add and clarify where our money is going as we proceed through these next several weeks.



The bikes are in the shop getting a last tune up, new chains, new aero bars for me. All the tools are gathered and packed for our access in a lidded bucket for travel (you have no idea what the scent of oil grease is like without the lid). Ken bought us each the cutest little "bike bells". You know the ones that "ting-ting". Mark thinks they are annoying and won't use his. I love them and will probably put the two on my bike. Of course, Mark has incredible technical skills on his bike - never falls, can nearly collide and somehow jump over the whole near incident, rides while eating and changing clothes, etc etc.

I find riding frequently is a very religious experience. Like the other day having to ride the very short distance through Riverfront Park in order to get to the trail (I breathe in, never breathing out, and start sweating just thinking about that little section of the trail). We come around a corner and there, completely covering the "wheels only lane" are one million very small children with maybe 2 adults herding them. There, in the front, leading the group, was a blind child with his white tipped cane swinging side-to-side. OMG!!!! See, very religious experience for me. I start my mantra of "pleasegodpleasegodpleasegodohdon'tletmehitthemohpleasegod" while continually breathing in.... See, I can be a very religious person.



Must get going to organize more stuff, and equipment, and arrangements, and......







1 comment:

  1. robertoolson@comcast.netJune 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM

    you go girl, more guts and at such a young age!!! you too Mark
    Love ya
    Opal

    ReplyDelete